Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Shed

The time has come. THIS is what you've been waiting for. I have now decided, world, to share avec vous some (many) wonderful (random) stories.

A little story from the big move....
On the way to Middle Earth, my team was beat. We had just done a tour. I was surprised at their lack of speed because I had Ratchet (and Marla!) in lead. We stopped at the bottom/on the slope of the biggest hill. There were a few crevasses on the hill making everyone (well, us humans at least) a little nervous. My tag sled driver was getting a little lippy. I was grinding my teeth. At the stop, a snow machine (don't you dare say snowmobile in Alaska!) trail forked off. Both trails ran parallel, but there was about a six foot median between them. It absolutely mattered not which one we chose. I called Ratchet to the left just because. He responded, but only half-halfheartedly. My tag sled driver was driving me a little batty- which was unusual for her to do. She kept repeating that if I called it again, Ratchet would respond better. I tightened my grip around the handle bar. My tag sled driver's voice was like a mosquito buzzing in my ear.

I've been on Ratchet for two months now; I know the dog. He wasn't trying to be a jerk, he was just being a little apathetic. I glanced back at the person on my tag sled and smiled. If she wanted to think the dog was ignoring me, fine. I'm always up for a challenge. I called Ratchet left....and then I called him back to the right. One last haw and we continued on....using the snow machine trail.

Okay, how about the music? Every event has a song. Once, we all sang the "I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend" song for an entire rotation. Paul started it. Then there was the time three of us were doing dishes listening to our Cook's "90's Country Hits" cd. Can you see this one from a mile a way? We were all way into it....maybe some more so than others. I was rocking out a solo- wearing rubber gloves, Dawn dish soap everywhere, and singing into a spatula when my manager walked in and asked if he had to pay me overtime for the performance. Lately, we (once again, maybe some more so than others) have been really into the "My house is on fire" song. I would highly recommend it. Let's put it this way, the last line of it is, "No, it's AIDS; I've got AIDS." Very catchy stuff, no pun intended. Oh and how about Samson by Regina Spector? I rock out in Kori's truck whenever possible because the history books DID forget about us and the Bible DIDN'T mention us...not even once.

Rotation B- for Bad Ass. For Blockbuster. For BULLOCK. There are so many instances dealing with each one of those. Let's see.....the bad ass part. Have I mentioned that we swim in any body of water? We rock climb. We walk in the rain. We eat at The Twisted Fish. Next. We are NOT afraid to be terrible people in front of the Mormons. We are not afraid of Mormons. We are not Mormons. (We do love the Mormons. This is all in good fun!) Sometimes, we buy snacks and walk a mile away from the apartment because we're bored. Sometimes when we do this, it's raining. Sometimes, we look like bums because it's 11pm and we're wearing sweatpants and sneaking around in the rain. Sometimes, the spot where we chill is near a decrepit shed. Sometimes, and this is only occasionally, we sit outside this decrepit shed in the rain and play educational games at 11 p.m. But the important part? Rotation Bullock. It's no joke, we're Rotation B for a reason. WE are the reason Sandra Bullock is a millionaire. We watch all of her movies. We love her. Perhaps it's Rotation Blockbuster. Maybe they'd give us a pro-deal?

And the swimming? Yes we will, thank you kindly. We've swum in the Mendenhall runoff. We've swum in the ocean. Once, we swam on our way to go swimming. We're intense, people. Intense.


Seriously, the shed story is true!

No comments:

Post a Comment